The leadership of Boko Haram, under Imam Abubakar Shekau, says on YouTube that it was soldiers and the police that killed Muslims in last week’s attacks in Kano. 

In the 41 minute clip posted online earlier today, Jama’atu Jama’atu Ahli Sunna lid Da’awati wal Jihad, widely known as Boko Haram, says that the group's target in Kano were  the security agencies and non-Muslims.

The statement suggests that the terror group may be facing backlash from northern Nigerian Muslims who bore the brunt of last Friday’s assault on Kano by the militant Islamist group. According to security agencies, 99% of the victims of the attacks in Kano were Muslims.

“We never touched ordinary people in the city, instead we gave them protection,” he said, “they [soldiers] would rush to the media and say it was us who did it.”

He said their reason for hitting the city of Kano was because of the arrest and detention of several sect members, including children and women.

Shekau also claims in the message that the Nigerian government cannot crush or overpower Boko Haram.

“Jonathan cannot crush us,” he said.  “Killing us is not a victory over us. Many prophets and learned men of Islam were murdered but their legacies still live.”
       

You may also like

Read Next