1. We wish to relate to you the events that took place on the floor of the House, today.
2. At the sitting of the House today, 25th June 2015, The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara after the House Prayers, called for the House to dissolve into an Executive Session.
3. The mechanism of an Executive Session is usually employed by the Leadership to discuss and resolve any issue that may require urgent attention of Members or that may be contentious. Only Members are participants in the Executive Session.
4. The Speaker had hardly finished calling on the Chairman of the Ad-Hoc Committee on Rules and Business to move a motion to that effect, when some Honourable Members tried to interrupt and disrupt the House proceedings.
5. The conduct of these Members at this point in time was contrary to the Standing Orders of the House as no further activities could take place at that point.
6. It was obvious from the action of these Members that they were acting on a premeditated script, as some of them even carried placards with inscriptions on them.
7. These Members attempted to seize the Mace, which is the symbol of authority of the House and other sundry acts of fighting, fracas, misconduct, disruption and committed unparliamentary actions unbecoming of the status of Honourable Members.
8. The conduct of these Honourable Members amount to contempt of the House and is in clear violation of the Standing Orders of the House and Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act and the customs and traditions of Parliament
9. The House wishes to state that the action of these Members is regrettable and not in consonance with the objectives of the 8th Assembly as the House was set to continue deliberation on its Legislative Agenda, and other matters that directly affect the yearnings and aspirations of Nigerians.
10. The House therefore sincerely apologizes to Nigerians for the ugly events of today.
11. We reiterate the admonition of the Hon. Speaker, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, that the 8th House in fulfillment of its electoral mandate shall devote its time and energy to address the hydra headed problems facing Nigerians and not on matters not in consonance with our primary responsibilities.
12. Finally, we want to assure Nigerians that the House under the Leadership of Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, will continue to pursue the needs of Nigerians as enshrined in our legislative framework.
Hon Sani Zoro
Chairman House Adhoc Committee on Media and Publicity