1. The attention of the Nigerian Navy Headquarters has been drawn to the reoccurring incidences of impersonation of service personnel by criminal elements and illegal groups particularly in the coastal states. While the service has taken measures to checkmate the activities of the imposters, their continous activities have greatly dainted the good image of the Nigerian Navy.
2. Pseudo organisations that go by the names; Nigerian Merchant Navy, Merchant Naval Force and Nigerian Sea Scout among others have sprung up, deceived and recruited unsuspecting civilians, dressed up in Nigerian Navy uniforms and parading themselves as personnel. In this year alone, about 16 persons have been arrested with the most recent been the case of one MrSunday Livinus Anaefo who was arrested while on illegal escort duties along Ibafon-Victoria Island axis in Lagos. Also one Mr Ukaegbu Lucky was arrested at Agbara general area of Ogun state for posing as a Nigerian Navy personnel.
3. Additionally, in a recent raid conducted by operatives of the Nigerian Navy in Badagry area, the camp of one illegal group that goes by the name Merchant Naval Force was discovered and dismantled. The action was sequel to reports of criminal extortion, intimidation and harassment of unsuspecting members of the public including agents of government by ‘supposed’ naval personnel in the area.
4. In view of the current security challenges in the country associated with militancy, cult related activities, banditry, piracy, sea robbery, kidnapping and other unwholesome activities, the Nigerian Navy will henceforth massively crackdown on any group that poses as a security risk to the maritime domain and its own operations.
These observations on the criminal activities of imposters bring to fore the urgent need to advice parents and guardians to warn their children and wards not to fall into the temptation of impersonating personnel of the Nigerian Navy or enlisting as members of these illegal organisations by which ever name they are called, as the service will henceforth use the required lawful means to crackdown on them wherever there are found.
5. To underscore the critical importance of security in our country, you are please requested to disseminate this information for the awareness of all.
CHRISTIAN ODOGWU EZEKOBE
Director of Information