The immediate past Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase, has described, as false, the claim that 19 assorted vehicles belonging to the Police were recovered from him. The former IGP also raised an alarm that the allegation that he went away with Police vehicles is part of the plot by some forces to tarnish his reputation.
Mr. Arase’s response was contained in a statement issued and on Monday in response to the widely circulated allegation that he made away with Police vehicles on retirement. The statement, which he personally signed, alluded to the fact that a similar allegation had been leveled against him in July when it was claimed that 19 out of 24 vehicles he allegedly took away upon retirement had been recovered from him.
Mr. Arase warned that he would not hesitate to seek legal redress if those desperate to tarnish his image fail to desist.
“It is embarrassing for me to wake up on Monday morning to be inundated with calls and messages on purported 19 vehicles recovered from me. I wish to reassure the general public that there was nothing like that. As I said in July, I did not take any police vehicle with me outside what I am entitled to, and so, there couldn’t have been any vehicle recovered from me. If there was any such, those behind this campaign of calumny should please make the number plates of the vehicles public and where they were recovered from,” he said.
The former IGP advised those behind the alleged campaign to assassinate his reputation to face their official responsibilities instead of investing time and energy in the bid to sully his image.
“I have done my bit, and my own records bear me witness. Let those daily frightened by the shadow of Arase learn to face reality and stop chasing shadows so that they are not hunted by same,” the ex-police boss stated.
Mr. Arase said he suspected that the allegation leveled against him must have arisen from a disconnect because he provided every information required by his successor, Mr. Lawal K. Idris, in his handover notes.
“It's unfortunate that this matter is being made a media issue because my successor has my telephone number and could have called me for any clarification or even sent me a text message rather than addressing the media on an issue well documented in my hand-over notes," stated the ex-police chief.