Another fire outbreak today at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos causes panic and temporarily disrupted flight operations.

A source close to the location of the incident, told our correspondent that the fire outbreak started from the roof top ceiling of the ticketing office of South African Airways at the airport.

The inferno, which was prevented from spreading to other parts of the terminal started around 11:00am, and was extinguished by fire fighters of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) after 20 minutes.

It was gathered that the fire fighters of FAAN who arrived in a fire truck had to force open the roof top of the airline’s office to stop the fire from spreading to parts of the building. Thick smoke enveloped the entire office and staff and others within the building ran to safety to prevent being torched by the fire.

Sahara Reporters learned that a melting cable was the cause of the fire. Stakeholders believe the cables are the inferior products used by contractors in the recent remodeling of the airport, spearheaded by the former minister of aviation, Princess Stella Oduah.

The source said: “This has been a recurring decimal at the airport. But, unfortunately, it wasn’t like this in the past. Since Oduah carried out the so called remodeling of the airport, things have not been the same ever since. Many believe of many is that the cables used for the wiring of the airport are household cables and not factory as it should be. We just hope that it will not go become worse one day, but we know those of us working here are not safe.”

Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)

You may also like

Read Next