The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has grilled Clement Faboyede, the Ondo State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), over N1 billion in party funds allegedly received from the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) for the 2015 presidential election campaign.
SaharaReporters learned that Mr. Faboyede was quizzed for several hours for the funds, which were received on behalf of PDP members in the state.
Sources close to the EFCC told our undercover correspondent on Wednesday that Mr. Faboyede had earlier been invited by the commission to explain his role concerning how the funds were received from the arms deal cash.
One of the sources, pleading anonymity, said that the funds emanated from an imprest account in the office of the NSA domiciled at Central Bank of Nigeria but was routed into a private account belonging to a top brass of the PDP in the state.
A top operative of the commission had earlier on Tuesday confirmed to SaharaReporters that Mr. Faboyede would be reporting at the EFFC in Lagos in continuation of the commission’s investigation.
An impeccable source at the PDP secretariat in Ondo State further told SaharaReporters that Faboyede has been under investigation for a few months over the cash, helping the anti-graft agency to determine how the fund was lavishly spent and disbursed between loyal party chieftains and die-hard members.
“Yes, the Ondo state PDP Chairman Mr. Clement Faboyede is currently under investigation and on the watch list of the EFCC over the money [campaign funds] they received from Dasuki,” he told our correspondent, adding that the chairman has provided information on how the money was disbursed and spent by the PDP members.
He stated that the funds received as campaign fund for the 2015 presidential election was between N500 billion and N1 billion, but that the party chieftains lied that they only received N100 million.
“In fact, it was even former Governor Olusegun Mimiko that collected theses fund from the National Security Adviser but wisely enough and knowing the implication, he tactically made Mr. Clement Faboyede to sign for the money before it was disbursed to the state party,” he said.
He further stated that was he described as the “snake attitude” of Mr. Mimiko over the funds led to a “heavy brawl” between the two men that was covered to avoid exposure to the media and party members.
“I am sure there is no much cordial relationship between Fabo as we fondly called him and Mimiko again. If you even notice the PDP chairman has been preaching against Godfatherism in recent times in the party, which the former governor I know for and he has even been silent over the activities of the party in the state.”
The source said party members had learnt that Faboyede towards avoiding prosecution, has returned close to N150 million so far, according to a close aide.
SaharaReporters contacted Mr. Faboyede several times on his two official telephone lines as well as on his cell, but he did not answer any.
But contacted in Akure, one of his aides said he was sure the the Ondo PDP chairman would “not be willing to speak” over issues relating to his visit to the EFCC office.
It is unclear how the campaign slush funds meant for the 2015 re-election effort of the incumbent, Goodluck Jonathan, was shared to states and individuals, and exactly how much was involved. The EFCC is also investigating funds disbursed for the same purpose, some of them to officials of the electoral commission, by the former Petroleum Resources Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke. Mr. Jonathan has not denied any of the allegations, but he has yet to be officially questioned by the federal authorities.