A fire outbreak at the Adeyemi College of Education (ACE) in Ondo has destroyed properties worth millions of naira, Sahara Reporters has learned.

The inferno which started around 10 pm on Thursday razed some sections of the School of Education at the college.

Our correspondent gathered that the fire outbreak was caused by a power surge in one of the offices inside the building.

The incident also caused pandemonium as some of the students scampered to save the building from totally being razed.

Some students that confirmed the fire outbreak told Sahara Reporters that vital documents were completely destroyed as the outbreak lasted several hours.

One of the students who preferred not to be named during a telephone chat said that examination scripts were destroyed during the outbreak in the office.

He disclosed that all effort made to stop the inferno was unsuccessful as the fire extinguishers inside the old building had become obsolete.

"One of the five buildings housing the school of education was razed and lots of documents were badly destroyed."

"The offices in the building is used by the lecturers and student were not much on campus except those on their teaching practice."

"It took the effort of the students of the college who were currently in a teaching practice exercise to avoid the fire from spreading into other buildings."

"An electric cable connecting the college to the building was disconnected shortly after the inferno was noticed."

"In fact, the late arrival of the men of the fire service in the town worsen the whole incidence because they had complained that there was no battery in their vehicle."

"So, some valuable documents left in the office by these lecturers were destroyed including students lists and registration documents," he added.

A lecturer in the school who also hinted Sahara Reporters confirmed the incident on Friday evening.

The lecturer, although, not authorized to speak on behalf of the management of the college noted that lots of documents were razed.

"Right now, I am very sad about the fire incident because lots of documents in my office had been destroyed," he said.

A source in the management cadre said the college has started documentations of losses to the heavy inferno.

You may also like

Read Next