Two days after the conclusion of rescue operations at the site of the collapsed building in Abuja, a decomposed body identified as that of Sadiq Abubakar has been recovered from the debris.

The recovery of Abubakar’s body sparked tension among his relatives and friends, who had insisted at the site of the incident on Saturday that more bodies were still trapped under the rubbles.

A decomposed body was sighted at 10:50am when the officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) came to clear the debris at the site of the incident.

The number of the corpses could not be ascertained as of the time of filing this report because efforts were ongoing to level the debris and there were indications that many more would be discovered.

The area had been enveloped with offensive odour, with rescue operators seen putting on face masks to curtail the stench oozing from the rubbles. Also, efforts were being made to disinfect the area to avoid outbreak of diseases. See Also Environment My Brother Called From Under The Collapsed Building, Relative Insists As NEMA Concludes Search

After the recovery of the body, angry relatives and residents of the trapped victims trooped to the site, raining curses on the officials for allowing their loved ones to die miserably after they hurriedly ended the rescue operation on Saturday morning.

As of the time of filing this story, the officials were desperately trying to evacuate the decomposing bodies. But there is a growing tension among the crowd who have converged on the scene. 

Saharareporters has been following the story since it broke on Friday afternoon when one person was confirmed dead while six other were rescued but critically injured. 

On Saturday, residents and sympathisers at the site had insisted that many people were still buried beneath the building; they accused the rescue team of not doing enough, explaining that the debris of the first floor had not been removed and that there were chances that people were still inside.

"I have a brother here and yesterday, we called our brother and we were talking to him underground,” A relative of one of the trapped victims, Bala Mohammed, insisted. 

“However, this morning, we called him, but we weren't able to reach him. We saw his shirt, but we did not see the corpse and they said that they have finished. So government did not do anything and our people are under the ground."

You may also like

Read Next