For three hours on Wednesday, different security agencies, in no less than 50 vehicles, patrolled the streets of Enugu.

Major General Emmanuel Kabuk, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, Enugu, who spoke on the patrol, also warned trouble makers to steer clear of the South-East.

He gave the warning, while addressing a joint security team patrol, which included personnel of the Nigerian Army; Nigerian Air Force; Nigeria Police; Department of State Services (DSS) and Police Mobile Squadron 3.

Others were: Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC); Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC); Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS); Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and the Anti-Cultism Unit of the Police Command in Enugu State.

According to NAN, the GOC noted that the security agencies are united in their efforts to secure and defend law-abiding citizens from misguided individuals and groups.

His words: “We are observing this training together to further improve our efficiency and proficiency in the internal security duties as well as understand each other better in the line of duty.

“With this exercise, we are clearly sounding a note of warning to trouble-makers to steer clear of the entire South-East and other places of 82 Division Areas of Responsibility.

“We want the existing peace in the South-East to continue unhindered. We will not fold our arms as members of the security community in this state and the entire South-East and watch some misguided individuals or groups to molest and intimidate innocent and law abiding citizens."

Noting that the security agencies was not targeting anybody or group, but was interested in peace, Kabuk urged the people to go about their lawful businesses.

“The law will surely take its course on criminals that want to distort the peace in South-East and Nigeria," he added.

NAN reported that the joint security patrol came against the backdrop of the September 14 sit-at-home order in the South-East by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

The team comprised more than 50 vehicles and they patrolled major roads, avenues and streets within Enugu township and its environs for more than three hours.

You may also like

Read Next