Fire in Lagos

Residents of Orile-Agege, Lagos, watched helplessly as fire razed their belongings on Tuesday.

The fire occurred after a high tension wire landed on a building, and a cooking gas exploded.

The explosion affected many buildings in the area, rendering many homeless, just as many others sustained injuries.

Some of those injured are receiving treatment at the Agege General Hospital.

Residents were distraught at the slow response of firefighters, and blamed them for the escalation of the inferno.

Many shop owners and residents said they could not salvage any of their properties because of the widespread and intensity of the fire.

Shuaibu Ado, President of Arewa United Consultative Forum, urged the Lagos State government to help victims of the fire incident by providing alternative accommodation for them.

“Although nobody died, we are pained now because we have lost belongings and money running into millions of Naira. We appeal to the government to assist the victims and provide alternative accommodation for them," he said.

You may also like

Read Next