President of the Trade Union Congress, Quadri Olaleye, has said that the organisation had commenced mobilisation of members ahead of a nationwide protest, adding that they would not embark on a warning strike.

The TUC’s position comes after the failure of the Nigerian Government to implement the new minimum wage of N30,000.

In a statement, the organised labour said that it would not guarantee industrial peace in Nigeria if the government failed to hold a meeting with it and accept its demand on the consequential salary adjustment arising from the new minimum wage.

Labour said it had demonstrated a great deal of restraint, consideration and patience with government in arriving at the demand of 29 per cent salary increase for officers on salary levels 07 to 14 and 24 per cent adjustment for officers on salary grade levels 15 to 17.

The statement said the alleged nonchalant attitude of the government negotiating side had dragged negotiations for consequential wages adjustment unduly, adding that Nigerian workers had exercised tremendous patience and restraint already.

Olaleye said, “We had already begun mobilisation of our members for an industrial action long before we made the pronouncement.

“We have given instructions on mobilisation to our members in the states and all council areas.

“If by October 16 government fails to do what we expect, we will start our action with a rally. On the second day (October 17), the strike will begin.

“We are not going to give any warning strike this time round. We have threatened to go on strike on many occasions.”

You may also like

Read Next