Ondo State has recorded its second COVID-19 death out of the four new cases identified last week in the city.
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu made the disclosure on Wednesday while giving an update on the fight against the pandemic by his government to journalists in Akure, the state capital.
Akeredolu disclosed that the additional four new cases of Coronavirus in the state brought the total number of confirmed cases to 24.
He said the case of the deceased was presented at the General Hospital in Igbara Oke in the Ifedore Local Government Area of the state as regular patient of flu, fever, cough and other symptoms of COVID-19.
According to him, the patient died the same night that he was brought to the facility.
The governor added that health workers in the state later ensured that the corpse was tested for COVID-19 and the result came back positive.
Akeredolu revealed that the corpse had been buried in his hometown of iragbiji in Osun state.
He said, “Aside from contacting Osun State Government accordingly, we have activated a wide line tracing to arrest further infection and possible spread.”
Meanwhile, the governor has lifted the ban on religious activities in the state.
Akeredolu said the decision was reached after a wide consultation and meeting with religious leaders in the state.
He said, “In the light of this and taking into consideration the advantages of so doing, I hereby direct the resumption of guided and syndicated religious activities throughout the state.
“As agreed with religious leaders, in specific terms, worship centres are to commence their main activities with effect from Friday.
“Only weekly Friday Jumat services and Sunday church services will commence in the first instance.
“Other daily programmes within the week are not yet approved.”