Friday, 24 May 2013
Newcastle FC May Take FIFA And Senegal to Court Following Conflict Over Striker Papiss Cisse
A furious Newcastle Football Club is considering dragging FIFA and Senegal to court after Senegal last week stopped striker Papiss Cisse from playing for it, invoking the ‘five-day rule’ after internationals.
Without the Senegal captain, who was a scoring sensation last season, the Barclays Premier League team suffered its second straight defeat at home to Swansea, 2-1.
Cisse, 27, did not even kick a ball for Senegal in the friendly with Niger, having been pulled out with a back injury.
Newcastle felt Senegal’s decision to bar Papiss from playing on Saturday was retaliation for his being stopped from appearing at the Olympic Games.
Coach Alan Pardew said: “We kept getting promised the decision was going to be overturned and Senegal were going to let Papiss play.
“But we kept waiting and waiting and it was about 1.40pm that we finally found out that it was not going to happen.
“It affected our preparation and having him missing was a blow to us.”
Newcastle, furious, said it would consult with its legal advisors towards possible action against Senegal, FIFA, or both.
Cisse, for his part, is considering quitting as Senegal skipper.
“I am deeply disappointed by the actions of my Federation which have punished me and my club,” he said.