Sunday, 8 December 2013
Nigeria Football Federation Stops NPL Congress
The Nigeria Football Federation has directed the Nigeria premier league to put on hold its 7th Congress earlier scheduled to take place on Saturday, 17th November in Kano.
Speaking in Abuja on Wednesday, Chairman of the NFF Media and Publicity Committee, Emeka Inyama said the Federation took the decision as part of its determination to ensure that outstanding issues around the Premier League are conclusively resolved with a view to putting in place a credible first tier of Nigeria’s national football.
“The NFF wrote the letter based on the need to put all lingering matters to rest before we can start talking about a new season. This is of high importance,” Inyama said.
The letter, addressed to the Acting Executive Secretary of the Nigeria Premier League, Tunji Babalola and signed by NFF General Secretary, Barr. Musa Amadu, read, inter alia: “I have the mandate of the President of the Nigeria Football Federation to inform you to put all arrangements for the staging of the NPL 7th Congress 2012 on hold until further notice.
“This is as a result of several lingering issues around the Nigeria Premier League that have come to the fore and which must be fully resolved before a Congress can be called to set the date for the beginning of a new season.
“You may kindly recall that the Nigeria Football Federation had earlier directed you to suspend plans for the commencement of a new season based on some issues. Now, other matters have been added, for which the NFF issued you a query that has only recently been answered.”