Press conference by members of the national and state assemblies elected on the platform of PDP from Anambra state on the prevailing situation in the state.
We, Members of National and State Assemblies elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), from Anambra State wish to address the media on the prevailing situation in Anambra State as it affects the leadership of our great party in the State. We wish to state as follows:
1. That following the recent vacation of the Court Order upon which the Chris Ubah/Emordi led PDP executive in the Anambra State was recognised, the confusion as to the leadership of our great party in the state continues.
2. That we are saddened that less than six months to the scheduled gubernatorial election in the State our Party has not been able to put its house in order as regards constituting the leadership of the Party in Anambra State.
3. That we reject and distance ourselves from the spuriously constituted Chris Uba led executive in the State as the popular feeling in the State is that they were the same group of people that caused mayhem and massive destruction of public and private property in the State in 2003 and equally fought our Party to a standstill during the 2007 elections as card carrying members of another political party, the DPP.
4. That our constituents and faithful members of our party have inundated us with calls over the Chris Uba/Emordi leadership of the party and we have assured them that their feelings would be made known to the appropriate Party Organs. We believe that our Party could do better than present Chief Chris Uba as the “face and image” of our Party for the forth coming gubernatorial election in the State.
5. That we believe that the ideal thing is to convene proper congresses in Anambra State to elect the ward/local government/state executives of the party.
6. That due to the current tension and nearness of the gubernatorial election in the State, it may be difficult to convene a proper congress in the state. Therefore, we suggest that the Party should put in place a Caretaker Committee comprising of people of integrity to organise and mobilize the Party for the forth coming gubernatorial election in the State.
7. That the Party should dissolve all the existing structures/factions laying claim to the leadership of the Party in the State, namely: Chris Ubah/Emordi led exco; Ifeatu-Obi Okoye led exco; Tony Nwonye led exco and Bright Nnebedum led exco in order to appoint the caretaker committee.
We cannot conclude this Press Conference without commenting on the deplorable security situation in Anambra state. The unacceptable level of insecurity in the state is caused by years of total neglect and levity with which security of lives and property in the state has been attended to by the administration of Mr. Peter Obi.
The discovery of N255M in CASH belonging to Anambra State government in the Governor’s vehicle at his private office at 7 Aerodrome Street, Apapa is unfortunate.
Despite the massive efforts to cover up, it is well known that the money was part of the security vote collected by the governor. This is directly linked to the security situation in the State as millions of naira drawn as “Security Vote” every month is not deployed to the protection of lives and property in the state.
We are surprised at the propaganda that the Anambra State House Assembly has cleared the Governor on the N255M scandal. The recommendation of the Committee investigating the matter presented and adopted by the State Assembly as evidenced by the House Votes and Proceedings states that: “... the police and the EFCC are yet to come out with any report, this report (testimonies) should be accepted as a working document pending when investigation report of the police and EFCC are sent to the Committee for the Committee to fully report to the House”.
We call on all the PDP faithful in Anambra State to remain calm and law abiding while the national leadership of our party take the urgent steps towards repositioning the party in our state.