Skip to main content

Lagos Officials Claim Beer Parlor Explosion Linked To Defective Refrigerator

An explosion that caused a scare in the Oworonsoki area of Lagos metropolis this afternoon has been traced to a 'leaking refrigerator' in a beer shop attached to a residential building in the area.


The affected building is a bungalow located at No. 88, Oworo Road, Oworonsoki, Lagos State.

Four persons who were injured in the explosion have been hospitalized.

Emergency services officials claimed they  found some electrical items in the collapsed shop as they carried out their activities on the scene after the incident this afternoon, they claimed not to have found no explosive materials that could suggest it was a bomb.

Speaking on the scene to our correspondent, General Manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Mr. Micheal Akindele said the agency can authoritatively link the explosion to a defective refrigerator in the shop. However, our reporter noted that the refrigerator that reportedly caused the explosion remained largely intact.

Mr. Akindele said gas escaped from the compressor of the refrigerator suspected to be defective and reacted with carbonated drinks in the shop.

The explosion occurred around 1.05pm.

A six months old baby who was injured in the explosion has been taken to intensive care unit of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital while three adults who had minor injuries have also been hospitalized at Afolabi hospital close to the scene of the explosion.

CRIME Terrorism