At least 10 persons have died and 400 are currently hospitalised after drinking expired citric acid powdered drinks in Kano State.

This was disclosed by the State Commissioner for Health, Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa on Thursday.

Tsanyawa stated that among those hospitalised are 50 patients undergoing kidney-related treatment, because of complications arising from the consumption of the killer drinks.

The Commissioner spoke in a video, which was made available to journalists in Kano State on Thursday. He explained that the affected persons were being treated in government hospitals.

He cautioned residents on the consumption of juice during the period of Ramadan, to avoid catastrophic consequences.

Tsanyawa, in the video that is one minute and twenty-one second's long, said: "As you are aware, the Ministry of Health had in the recent past announced the outbreak of a strange disease traceable to the consumption of substandard juices.

“The consumption of these fake or substandard products have telling effects on the kidney, and vital organs of the body.”

The Consumer Protection Council has been investigating the incident, conducting searches in Kano markets and making seizures.

It was gathered the batches of some of the products show that the drinks had expired over a year ago.

SaharaReporters recalls that barely a month ago, four persons were confirmed dead and 189 others on treatment for poisoning from consuming expired juice in the state.

The National Agency for Food Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said the poison came from expired sachet water and a locally produced juice.

The incident came to notice after hundreds of persons in the Kano metropolis were hospitalised with cases of frequent vomiting, dizziness and blood in urination.

Health officials initially thought the disease was a Lassa fever outbreak. However, subsequent laboratory examination revealed a case of food poisoning.

You may also like

Read Next