Skip to main content

Nigerian Government Plots To Amend Leaked List Of 437 Nominees For National Honours

October 3, 2022

The Nigerian government denied the leaked list, describing it as fake news reported by inquisitive journalists.

The Nigerian government amid backlash has decided to amend the list of people nominated to be awarded with various national honours after denying that the list which leaked and was reported by media organisations.

SaharaReporters earlier reported that the Nigerian government denied the leaked list, describing it as fake news reported by inquisitive journalists.

However, TheCable reports that a source revealed that an adjustment of the list would be done following concerns over inconsistencies, errors, and the absence of notable names for the awards.

Recall that a total of 437 persons were nominated by the federal government to receive national honours which would be presented to the nominees by President Muhammadu Buhari on 11th of this month at an event scheduled to hold at the State House in Abuja.

It was gathered that five of the nominees including Senate President, Ibrahim Lawan, Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Olukayode Ariwoola; former CJN, Tanko Muhammad; Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, Amina J. Mohammed, were nominated for Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).

Also, former Chief of Staff to President Buhari, late Abba Kyari; former Chief of Army Staff, late Ibrahim Attahiru; President of the Court of Appeal, Monica Dongban-Mensem; Chief of Air Staff, Oladayo Amao, among others have been listed for the award of Commander of the order of the Federal Republic (CFR).

Meanwhile, it was observed that former Senate President, Bukola Saraki, was missing from the list of persons nominated for the awards, while the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu was listed for the award.

But Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti was nominated again to receive the award of commander of the order of the Niger (CON) despite having received the same award in 2014 under former President Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Also on the list include the founder of Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), Bayo Ogunlesi, who is reportedly erroneously described as the owner of Gatwick Airport.

It was understood that Ogunlesi is the chief executive officer and founder of Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), a global infrastructure fund management company, whereas Gatwick Airport, England, was initially owned by the British Airports Authority (BAA) until 2009 when it was acquired by a GIP-led consortium.

Reports showed that Gatwick Aiport announced in 2019 that a leading private airport operator, VINCI Airports, acquired a 50.01 percent stake in the airport, making VINCI the majority stakeholder, and leaving GIP with 49.99 percent interest in the airport.

It was also gathered that the government is also considering an upgrade of category for some persons who are currently on the list.