SaharaReporters has learnt that Isuwa Kiforo, the Director of Administration and Finance in the Kaduna State Ministry of Information, who was shot last week after he was mistaken for a suicide bomber has died of gunshot injuries. The victim died this morning (Nigerian time).

Nigerian soldiers shot and seriously wounded Mr. Kiforo at Kaduna State Government House.

The senior bureaucrat was shot after soldiers guarding the Government House accused him of security breach, claiming that he unlawfully forced his way into the premises.

The soldiers fired several bullets at Mr. Kiforo following his alleged forcible entry into the Government House. The bullets hit Mr. Kiforo’s legs and lower abdomen. He was then rushed to a hospital after he was recognized as a director on official business and not a suicide bomber as alleged by the soldiers.

Mr. Kiforo, who was also a pastor at the Living Faith Church in Kaduna, died in the Brigadier General A.A. Abubakar Ward in the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna (popularly known as “44 Hospital”).

After Mr. Kiforo was admitted at the hospital, a source at the medical facility told SaharaReporters that the man’s condition “looked very bad and his chances of survival are slim.” The source disclosed that the victim had “bled for a while and lost a lot of blood before he was brought to the hospital.”

The same source told SaharaReporters today that Mr. Kiforo was confirmed dead around 9:30 a.m.

The source said, “He could not make it because his body organs had been destroyed or damaged beyond what the surgeons at the hospital could handle.”

In addition, the hospital source said, “About 13 live bullets were recovered in the course of surgery, and he lost excessive blood and had horrible gunshot wounds. And so by his age and situation it was very difficult for him to survive beyond this point.”

The hospital source added that “Nobody expected that he would even survive one hour after the incident. It was miraculous that he made till today.”

Mr. Kiforo’s son, Manasse, who is a graduate of Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State, was at the hospital along with his mother at the time of his father’s death. He sent several SMS messages to friends and relations announcing his father's death.

After announcing his father's demise, Manasse and his mother, Mrs. Charity Kiforo, drove out of the hospital after the deceased was taken to the mortuary.

Mr. Kiforo, who was 52 years, hailed from Ziturung, Bajju Chiefdom in Zangon Kataf local government area of Southern Kaduna. He was born on March 20, 1959, and is survived by a wife, and five children, four sons and a daughter.

You may also like

Read Next