Consequent upon the recent false reports on your website concerning the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, I write to bring the following facts to your kind attention:
(1) At no time did Chief Metuh express any kind of frustration in performing his duties as the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP during any of his usual interaction with the press. Accordingly the purported suggestion of resigning his position as result of such frustrations or indeed for lack of competence or any other reason whatsoever was never in issue.
(2) In the one year that Chief Metuh has served as the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, he has earned the respect of fair minded Nigerians for his deep understanding of his role and the dynamic and competent manner he has discharged the responsibilities of his office.
(3) The report that Chief Metuh asked bureau chiefs to help kill negative reports about the PDP is false in its entirety. Indeed, it will be naïve for anyone to seek such a favour from the press where it is universally understood that bad news is hot news.
(4) However, we need to point out that we have consistently demanded for fair and balanced reporting from the press and not that we be given any undue consideration.
(5) In accordance with the ethics of your profession and in the spirit of balanced reporting, we urge you to always crosscheck any stories relating to our great Party with us before publishing same in order to get our side of the story. It is unfortunate that this time honoured ethic was not followed in the reports under reference.
Thank you and best regards.
Special Assistant to the National Publicity Secretary