The eight senior journalists of the Ondo State Radio-Vision Corporation (OSRC) who were suspended last week have been ordered to write an apology letter to the state government to plead for pardon.

A reliable source at the station, whose anoynmity is being maintained, revealed this on Thursday to our correspondent in Akure, Ondo State capital.

Governor of Ondo State, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko Governor of Ondo State, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko The eight journalists were suspended indefinitely without pay or salary last week.

The suspended journalists are Taiwo Ibitoye, Sola Obagbamisoye, Wahab Bankole, Akinwunmi Abodunde, Obafemi Sogbe, Bankole Olaranrewaju (Lanre-Cole), Bayo Olanusi, and Tunji Ogidan.

The eight journalists worked at the News and Current Affairs department, Programmes department, and Engineering sections of the broadcasting station.

Olusegun Mimiko, the State Governor, had at a meeting with Labour leaders and key members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists expressed willingness to pardon the affected workers--but not before the receipt of an apology letter.

Sources at the media station tell SaharaReporters that the Joint Public Service Negotiating Council (JNC) which comprises of members from the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) intervened over the issue with a meeting with the state government. 

Bosede Daramola, Chairperson of the Nigeria Labour Congres (NLC) and other members of the union had a meeting with the government officials at the government office, in Akure.

Government officials present at the meeting included the Special Adviser to the governor on union matters, Dayo Fadahunsi, Secretary to the State Government (SSG) Aderotimi Adelola, State Commissioner for Information Kayode Akinmade, and the Chief of Staff to the governor, Kola Ademujimi.

According to the source, the leadership of the unions pleaded with state government 'to have mercy on the workers, whose job they use in feeding their families'.

The outcome of the meeting was that the affected journalists should write an apology letter to the management of the organisation and copy the governor over their involvement in the matter that led to their suspension.

The unions had also promised to tender an apology to the government on behalf of the affected workers, for peace to reign.

A prominent union member, who asked not to be named, told our correspodent in Akure that they have met with the governor and it was resolved that the suspended workers be pardoned.

"We have met with the governor and some key government officers to resolve the issue," he said. "At the meeting, several issues were raised against the affected workers which could totally cost them their jobs, but we pleaded on their behalf and it was directed that a letter of apology and undertaken should be forwarded to the governor".

He continued "Although some issues raised by the workers, mostly on their conditions and wages, were thoroughly looked into with sympathy, two of the government officials at the meeting frowned at the approach adopted by the workers, mostly the protest."

Our correspodent reports that a panel of investigation set up on the 25th of March 2014 and headed by a former Head of Service (HOS) in the state, Ajose Kudehinbu, looked into the case and submitted a report. No further information was made available regarding these findings.

The affected workers had led a struggle to expose various lapses in the station and the corrupt manner of the Director-General of the Organization, Ladi Akeredoul-Ale.

You may also like

Read Next