Fourteen persons, including four Boko Haram suicide bombers, were killed on Thursday evening in the simultaneous bomb explosions in Maiduguri, Borno State, the Nigerian Army confirmed in a statement.
Earlier in the evening, SaharaReporters reported that at least five people had been killed and forty injured in the first bombing.
Acting Director of Army Public Relations Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said the incidents occurred at Sajeri, near the Ajilari Railway Crossing. 39 persons were also wounded, and were taken to the hospital.
Troops, security and emergency management agencies have been mobilized to the location, he added.
Col. Usman said that although details of the attack were still sketchy, it appeared that four Boko Haram terrorists suicide bombers detonated their vests simultaneously, three in the same area and the fourth in front of a mosque.
“We would to appeal to the people especially the residents of the affected areas to remain calm and continue to be very vigilant and security conscious as everything necessary is being done to secure their lives and properties,” he stated.
He assured members of the public that no matter how hard Boko Haram terrorists try, they will not succeed in reversing the gains being made in the pursuit of peace and security in Nigeria.