The death toll of the Saturday attack on Maiduguri has risen to a total of 91 people, as more bodies were recovered, officials said.
It was earlier reported that 67 people were brutally killed by Boko Haram over the weekend in Dalori village of outskirts of Maiduguri and Konduga Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno state.
Yesterday the Borno State Commissioner of Health Dr. Haruna Mshelia briefed the Deputy Governor Usman Durkwa. Dr. Mshelia informed him that the death count was now at 85 dead and that between 65-70 wounded were brought to State specialist Hospital, and a further ten were at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. Another 10 were reportedly buried at the village.
But the civilian JTF source in Dalori village disclosed that a further 6 corpses had been discovered in the bushes around the village.
He noted that many girls and children are still missing. The JTF source stressed that they are still making contact with people in Maiduguri to ascertain whether the children had been forcefully taking away by the militants.
''We have recovered 6 more dead bodies, two of them were children.
“The children’s bodies were found under rubble and the 4 others were discovered in bushes near our town.
“Our concern is that many children are still missing we don't know if they are dead or alive because they are young girls and children, " CJTF source said.
A resident of Dalori village, Muhammed Zannah, who spoke to SaharaReporters on the phone said he lost 7 members of his family and 9 of his relations are still missing, 6 girls and 3 boys.
“I have called my relatives in Maiduguri but they have not seen them. I am truly troubled,” Mr. Zannah said.
The latest attack was among the deadliest since Boko Haram began its war in the NorthEast.