Residents of Gbazango West Extension Kubwa in Abuja have expressed doubt and worry over the manner in which Nigerian Police FCT command has, so far, handled the investigation into the brutal killing of the late Eunice Adewale.

The female preacher was murdered in the early hours of Saturday while carrying out morning evangelism by yet to be identified assailants.

This came with the reports and complaints made to the police by residents of the neighborhood who suspected the movement of miscreants based inside the shanties constructed in front of a Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) Fresh Fire Parish near the scene of the murder.

Some of the residents who spoke on the condition of anonymity confided that some of the occupants of the illegal structures sneaked in to evacuate their belongings from the shanties immediately the incident happened and news filtered into the town that the police were trailing the killers of the woman. They expressed shock and dismay toward the lukewarm attitude of police despite the series of calls to alert them of the suspicious movement of these people.  

We also gathered that these same miscreants had one time handed down a warning to the slain preacher not to disturb them with her preaching in the area. Tongues still are wagging why the police allowed these people who are supposed to be the prime suspect to go scot free despite the information made available to them.

SaharaReporters also gathered that a mallam who was selling provisions and sleep inside a container at the junction where the preacher was hacked to death fled on that same Saturday morning.

Another female preacher who also carried out early evangelism within the same vicinity was said to have stopped immediately the incident happened but we have it on a good authority that she came out yesterday (Tuesday) in the morning to preach at the same spot where Eunice was murdered. Efforts to interview her in order to ascertain whether a similar warning has been handed down to her in the past proved abortive.

A source close to the family of the deceased told SaharaReporters that the Area Commander and the Chairman of Bwari Area  Council, Musa Dikko, at a meeting expressed doubt about the claims of the arrest made and that he could not confirm that the police have actually made any arrest in connection with the murder.                                                       

Meanwhile, from the Nigerian police, we learned that four out of six suspects arrested in connection with the case have been freed and  their release was confirmed by the FCT commissioner of Police, Baba Alkali Usman in Abuja on Tuesday.

According to him, they were released after a proper investigation revealed that they were unconnected to the said murder.

The Commissioner of Police (CP) explained that the other two suspects are still in detention as they were caught in the vicinity where the incident happened.

He said the duo would assist the Police in its ongoing investigation to fish out perpetrators.

Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris reaffirmed the Force’s commitment to ensuring that culprits are made to face the law.

But contrary to the statements and claims by the police on the level of their investigations on the matter, a source within the force reliably informed SaharaReporters that police is at a dead end on the matter because of some powerful and influential personalities behind these extremists. He stated further that there cannot be a logical conclusion of the investigation because the hands of police are tight.

The Chairman of Kubwa Muslim Community (KMC), Suleiman Abdullahi has condemned the murder in its entirety and described it as barbaric, saying it is absurd for a human being to take the life his fellow human being. He also debunked the claim that the incident has a religion coloration. He, therefore, called on the Kubwa residents to live in harmony and peace and allow the police to carry out their investigations.

He cautioned the media to be wary of sensational reportage that may aggravate the tension and always cross-check their facts before going to press. Suleiman enjoined both Muslims and Christians to continue to live as one and shun any act capable of bringing unsavory relationship.

This latest senseless murder tells the frightening tale of the growing menace of Muslim fanatics attacks on Christians in northern Nigeria.

FCT locals have criticized President Muhammadu Buhari and Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Muhammed Bello (FCT) for not condemning the horrendous act six days after. 

Late Mrs. Eunice Olawale Elisha

You may also like

Read Next