O.J. Simpson was granted parole on Thursday after spending nine years in prison for an attempted armed robbery he committed in Las Vegas in 2007.
The 70-year-old former football star had been given a 33-year sentence after attempting to steal sports memorabilia at gunpoint at a hotel in Las Vegas.
A four-man Nevada parole board unanimously approved Mr. Simpson’s request for parole, ruling that he could be released as early as October 1, 2017.
Mr. Simpson gave the testimony via live video stream from Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada.
During his testimony, Mr. Simpson admitted his wrongdoing, but insisted the memorabilia he attempted to steal had belonged to him.
His adult daughter, Arnelle, also testified before the parole board, emotionally pleading for her father’s release. One of the sports memorabilia dealers Mr. Simpson attempted to rob, Bruce Fromong, also spoke before the board and recommended that he be released.
Mr. Fromong said Mr. Simpson did not pull a gun on him and admitted that he did possess some of his sports memorabilia. He said Mr. Simpson’s actions were “misguided,” but he nonetheless believed he did not pose a threat to the public.
After hearing the testimonies, the board granted Mr. Simpson parole. The board said he had complied with prison rules, had no prior criminal convictions and did not pose a significant risk to the public.
“I always thought I’ve been pretty good with people,” Mr. Simpson told the board. “I was always a good guy, but could have been a better Christian, and my commitment to change is to be a better Christian.”
Mr. Simpson, a Hall of Fame running back, was at the center of a media circus over twenty years ago, when he was put on trial for allegedly killing his girlfriend, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.
In a verdict announcement that was televised and watched by an estimated 100 million viewers, Mr. Simpson was found not guilty and was acquitted of all charges.