The Theatre Command of Operation Lafiya Dole fighting insurgency in the North East says troops deployed around Gamboru Ngala in Borno State have successfully averted, what would have been a major suicide attack in Gamboru town, early Tuesday, by three female Boko Haram terrorists.

Deputy Director Public Relations of Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu in a statement says two of the suicide bombers, strapped with explosive vests had attempted infiltrating Gamboru town at about 6.45 am, when they were sighted by a joint patrol team of troops and Civilian Joint Task Force.

Efforts to persuade the suicide bombers to remove their IED vests failed, as they adamantly approached the troops.

They were immediately neutralized, while the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team safely unstrapped and detonated the vests.

The third suicide bomber was also detected and intercepted within the same general area.

She subsequently confessed that she and the other two had been dispatched since about 3.30 am Tuesday, to unleash mayhem on Gamboru town.

She also revealed the location where she hid her suicide vest and led troops to recover it.

The recovered vests and the surviving suicide bomber have been taken into custody for further interrogations.

A soldier removing an explosive belt from one of the suicide bombers

You may also like

Read Next