Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents have kidnapped no less than 20 people from a passenger bus from Maiduguri, heading to Gwoza, Borno State.
The incident comes barely a week after insurgents invaded a military base in Borno, leaving at least 30 soldiers dead in their wake.
The recent kidnap was confirmed on Wednesday by military sources, a family member and Senator Ali Ndume, who represents Borno South in the National Assembly.
Although military sources said over 10 men and women were abducted, vigilante sources gave the number as 20.
Isa Musa, who said his uncle was one of those kidnapped, said: “He was in the bus with some other passengers, men and women, about 20 of them, when the incident occurred”.
A military source added: “One of the vehicles is a commercial passenger bus with about 20 passengers.
“The terrorists fired shots and took away some of the passengers. Women were among [them] and one of our soldiers was killed in the attack.”
Ndume, meanwhile, said he had been contacted by the wife of one of the victims.