No less than 2,000 new Coronavirus patients were recorded in China on Sunday, the country’s health authorities disclosed.
The authorities also said 142 deaths were recorded, bringing the number of deaths to 1,665.
As of Sunday morning, the confirmed number of infected people reached 68,500.
The rate of people diagnosed with the new Coronavirus dropped slightly in Hubei province, although the death toll remained high at the epicentre of the outbreak.
Over the last 24-hour period, 1,843 new cases were reported, Hubei’s health commission said on Sunday, down from 2,420 the previous day.
According to the commission, 139 people died from the Covid-19 disease within the province during that period, the same number as during the previous 24-hour period.
Most of the deaths and infections occurred in the city of Wuhan where the virus was first detected in December.
In total, Hubei recorded more than 56,000 cases of the respiratory illness caused by the virus.
Outside of mainland China, four people have died of Covid-19 so far.
France on Saturday reported the first death in Europe, a Chinese tourist from Hubei.
The French Health Ministry announced later on Saturday that a 12th Coronavirus case had been diagnosed in the country.
The patient, a British national, had been staying in a chalet in the Alpine Ski Resort of Contamines-Montjoie where a cluster of six other cases had already been diagnosed.
The patient had been hospitalised in isolation in Lyon a week ago and tested for Coronavirus regularly since then with a positive result registered today.
Their condition was “not of concern as of today,” the ministry said.