HAMISU BALA WADUME

The case file of kidnap warlord, Bala Hamisu widely known as Wadume, is yet to be assigned to any judge at the Federal High Court in Abuja 18 days after charges were brought against him by the police. 

The Nigerian Police Force slammed 16-count charge bordering on terrorism, murder, kidnapping and illegal arms on him. 

The criminal charge dated February 3, 2020, was filed by Assistant Commissioner of Police, Simon Lough; Anthony Egwu, and Peter Amadi, all of the Legal/Prosecution Section, Force Headquarters.

Wadume disclosed that military personnel attached to Battalion 93, Takum, killed three policemen that arrested him on August 6, 2019 while they drove him away in a red car.

He said the soldiers after killing the policemen took him to a military captain's house and set him free.  

He later escaped to Kano through Nasarawa.

He was charged six months after he was

rearrested on August 20, 2019 at his hideout at Layin Mai Allo Hotoro area of Kano State.

But the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, has not yet assigned the case despite its prominence. 

Many Nigerians have expressed concern and doubt if government was determined to prosecute those involved in the incident. 

Many high profile cases of that nature had been swept under the carpet while culprits walk freely on the streets.

SaharaReporters had reported that there were suspicions that some powerful influences were working round the clock and behind the scene to thwart and truncate the case.

When our correspondent contacted a top police officer at the Force Headquarters  to find out when the suspect may likely be arraigned, he simply said he would find out and get back but never did.

Wadume was charged alongside Captain Tijjani Balarabe and 18 others. 

Among exhibits attached to the charge were call logs showing the phone communication between Wadume, Balarabe and officers at Ibi Police Station.

 

 

You may also like

Read Next