The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has said the Federal Government’s determination to crush bandits remains unwavering even as the court granted application filed by the government to declare the bandits groups as terrorist organisations.

SaharaReporters had earlier reported today that a Federal High Court sitting in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, outlawed the activities of groups linked to banditry and declared their activities as acts of terrorism.

Malami

The court had asked the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to publish the proscription order in the official gazette and two national dailies.

Justice Taiwo Taiwo in a ruling on Friday had declared the activities of the “Yan Bindiga Group” and the “Yan Ta’adda Group” and other similar groups in any part of the country, especially in the North-West and North-Central geopolitical zones, as “acts of terrorism and illegality.”

In a statement by Umar Gwandu, his Special Assistant on Media and Public Relations, Malami said the court judgment would enable the government publish a “proscription order.” See Also Insecurity Court Grants Nigerian Government’s Request To Declare Bandits As Terrorists

The statement said, “The development is a pointer to the commitment of the Federal Government to adhere to the international standards in respecting the rules of engagement in the fight against terrorism, separatist organisations, insurgency and banditry in the country.

“The office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice in collaboration with relevant government agencies including security operatives are working assiduously to do the needful to take full advantage of this declaration. The government will gazette, publish and publicise the proscription order.”

You may also like

Read Next

Trending Now