The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its nationwide protest that was earlier scheduled for Thursday, January 27 and February 2.
This was made known by the NLC President, Ayuba Wabba during a press conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
He said members of the NLC who had been mobilised would be demobilised following the decision to suspend the protest.
The body has last month, announced plans to embark on nationwide protests on the said dates, to protest against moves by the Nigerian government to increase fuel prices.
However, it rescinded on the decision at its National Executive Council meeting on Tuesday morning.
The Congress said the decision to suspend the protest was based on suspension of the proposal to stop the subsidy on petrol by the Federal Government.
The Nigerian government had, on Monday, announced the suspension of the planned removal of fuel subsidy.
The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed said the government had suspended the plan to remove fuel subsidy.
She explained that the government would make provisions for fuel subsidy beyond its initial June deadline in the 2022 budget.
Meanwhile, the Deputy President of the NLC, Joe Ajaero, during an interview on Channels Television said the body would continue with its planned nationwide rally on Thursday, despite the announcement by the Nigerian government that it would no longer remove the fuel subsidy for now.